Correction: NOT WSJ but Yahoo Finance: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ed2002
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
Re: WSJ: Olympus one of 10 brands to disappear in 2014
In reply to dpreviewreader, 11 months ago

dpreviewreader wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Read this article again. For me it is clear that Olympus is going to stop paying dividends until it restors profitability. Also it is clear tha Olympus is exiting P&S market, but not DSLR .

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

The Olympus management says it will not pay dividends until profitability is restored but the article uses its criteria to predict which brands will disappear. I am not saying this will happen,  but the fact that such articles are being written indicates financial analysts do not expect Olympus to remain in the camera business much longer.

First lets agree the analysis is by 24/7 Wall St, and not the WSJ.  I don't know if these folks have any analysis chops.

Then lets agree that they got the part right about Olympus bleeding badly in p&s.  But did they actually analyse whether the brand will disapear next year.  No they didn't.  They said Sony would stick arround, but didn't check into the fact that sony was investing in the olympus brand and working with them.  They also didn't listen to the financial notes, where olympus is making in money in medical imaging and said that having cameras (maybe just m4/3) was important to r&d for medical imaging.  Olympus surely will shrink in compact fixed lens cameras, but sony and olympus are working together on both m4/3 and nex.  Sony on the sensors, olympus on the lenses, while each makes there own bodies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow