ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243Gear list
Like?
Affordable and compact tripod?
May 26, 2013

I've been looking at the following:

• Benro A150EXU:  AL, 63" post up, 52" legs only, 20.5" folded, 4 sections, 2.3 lbs., $66
  • Slik Sprint ProII:  AL, 64" post up, 52" legs only, 18.5" folded, 4 sections, 2.1 lbs., $89
  • Horusbennu 2240X:  CF, 54" post up, 43" legs only, 17" folded, 4 sections, 1.9 lbs., $146
  • Benro Travel Angel:  AL, 56" post up, 48" legs only, 15" folded, 5 sections, 2.6 lbs., $154

Concerns:

• Travel Angel has 5 sections:  each additional section introduces more opportunity for flex
  • Horusbennu requires use of the center post to bring camera to eye level, also introducing possible flex
  • Benro 150 and Slik both are have thin lowest leg sections, introducing, you guessed it, potential flex.
  • The Slik's ballhead has several reports of slippage with long zooms and the quick release plate has reports of frequent loosening up.

Conclusions so far:

• love the idea of stable and vibration free CF legs in the Horusbennu, but it's only purchased direct from Korea (not on B&H or Amazon) and requires use of the post.
  • Travel Angel is nicely compact, but a bit heavier than the rest, has that extra leg section and costs the most.
  • Slik has a good name, but also has some reports of ballhead slippage/plate loosening issues and one specific negative report by an E-M5/35-100mm user.
  • Benro 150 seems potentially the safest buy for the least money; it may also make for a carefree travel tripod should I later moved up.

Thoughts? I realize in this price range there won't be perfection.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Fujifilm FinePix A150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow