Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ronfab1
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
Cannot Get a Picture with Hvl-f36am Sony Flash Attached to my A77
May 26, 2013

Help!  Please.  I'm sure it is something simple......but I just bought this external flash in seemingly like new condition on eBay and I get nothing but black when it fires.

All the communication seems to be fine between the camera and the flash's indicators on the back including focal length from the Sony 16-50 kit lens.  I have tried Auto and Aperture priority.  I have tried the flash setting in Auto and for Fill.  The focus assist light works fine.  My shutter speed seems locked on 1/60.  I have tried with First Curtain engaged and disengaged.

If I take the external flash off and pop up the camera's unit I get a picture fine with it flashing in the red eye mode I guess it is in with the quick bursts first.  I have only shot outdoor available light with the A77 in the year and a half I've owned it.

What am I missing here please?  This is the first external flash unit on any camera I have tried to use.  Nothing but black in the shots.  Yes lens cover is off and the flash is firing.  I've tried ADI setting in the camera and TTL setting.

Thanks much

Ron

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow