D800: 6 fps without grip

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
whoosh1
Contributing MemberPosts: 980
Like?
Re: How many fps with the grip? Anyone?
In reply to Seancho, May 26, 2013

Seancho wrote:

This site makes it easy to time the burst rate.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/

I'm only getting a shot every 200 milliseconds, or 5 per second.    Anyone get this to work on the D800e?   Or just the D800.  Can't imagine why there would be a difference.

Same here - I could not get this to work on my D800E. I get only 5 fps for DX even with this workaround with the additional limitation of burst rates of going only for max 9 frames at a time.

I am really surprised why Nikon did not let the frame rate go higher in the DX mode than 5 fps without the grip and 6 fps with the grip - may be some mechanical design limitation?

Good thing is that the 1.2x gets 5 fps without the grip. Actually the grip does not seem very useful spec wise for fps as it is only increasing the speed nominally and only in the DX mode - not in the 1.2x or FX modes. If they bring a firmware update which could bump up the speed to 8 fps in DX mode and say 6 fps in 1.2x mode - they will sell a lot of D800 grips. That could be one easy to make good money for Nikon  (I am sure profit margins are high on the grip).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow