Why Canon made 1Dx best specification ... II

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Weird...
In reply to qianp2k, May 26, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Now he is talking downsampling to 5D3 size   See you tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

I meant that last post to be my last response to you - but I can't let you use your typical spin to mischaracterize what I actually said - which was

"Maybe - because, as I've tried unsuccessfully to educate you, we would not be looking at the same thing!!!  As with the D4 example above, at the image level the D800 will still look as sharp or sharper even if I crop into it to provide a 5D3 size image and, if I downsize to the 5D3 image size, I can get better apparent sharpness and detail... AND I could still print bigger with better sharpness than the 5D3 file."

...meaning that looking at a 100% crop from a D800 and a 5D3 is looking at two different things.  The D800E 100% crop is capturing a more magnified view/smaller section of the target.  However, as I've demonstrated to everyone except you, it is possible to get sharp per pixel detail (100% crop) with a D800 without taking any extraordinary methods (as you insist must be done).

So as long as you used the same technique and shot conditions as the 5D3, then even if the D800 results at100% view were not quite as sharp (though I demonstrated to most that they can be) as then 5D3 (which, remember, is a different, less magnified view of a larger part of the target), then the image level view (which is the real end goal for non-measurebators) of the D800 will still look as sharp or sharper than the 5D3.   This would also be true if I downsized the D800 image to the 5D3 image size as the downsizing/oversampling will provide better apparent sharpness and detail in the resultant smaller image (I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THIS - just stating the reality if you did!!)

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
100New
fateNew
TrueNew
ThnxNew
OT:New
alsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow