Why Canon made 1Dx best specification ... II

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,287Gear list
Like?
Re: Well in the past
In reply to qianp2k, May 26, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Can you do a simple test as I suggested to shoot 20 shots each between D4 and D800 at 1/10 from the same lens such as from that 70-200G at 200mm, and see which camera is sharper in average at 100% cropped level?

Ummm...No, I have better things to do than waste my time with silly measurebating like that.  I don't doubt that I would see somewhat more apparent sharpness in a 100% crop from the D4.  However, that doesn't mean anything as I would be looking at a MUCH smaller part of the image in the D4 crop.  At the image level, the D800 will still look as sharp or sharper even if I crop into it to provide a D4 size image... AND I could print much bigger with better shatpness from the D800 file.  I don't know why this seems to remain beyond your comprehension.

I think you're the one cannot grasp the relativity but talk in absolute.  I never said you cannot take individual sharp photos from D800 but just said you do need a better technique such as a bit faster shutter if you want to fully leverage 36mp.  If we ever had a chance shoot side by side at such 1/10 sec from respective 70-200 zoom at 200mm, I have no doubt my 5D3 (provided we both have same hands' sturdy level) will get more sharper photos when they are viewed at respective 100% cropped sizes

Maybe - because, as I've tried unsuccessfully to educate you, we would not be looking at the same thing!!!  As with the D4 example above, at the image level the D800 will still look as sharp or sharper even if I crop into it to provide a 5D3 size image and, if I downsize to the 5D3 image size, I can get better apparent sharpness and detail... AND I could still print bigger with better sharpness than the 5D3 file.

I actually never said "NEVER" but just said not at this moment until I have a 8K or at least 4K monitor.

But you've said the high MP camera will not be as sharp at the pixel level, so what difference does your monitor resolution make - you can look at your 100% crops to your heart's content on pretty much any monitor?  A 4K monitor (that's only 3840 pixels × 2160 pixels = 8.3 MB) still can't come anywhere close to displaying the full resolution image for your 5D3, so why would you need this before you moved to an even higher resolution camera?  Besides, the 5D3 will still always be better in your world as it's per pixel sharpness won't be beat by a higher resolution camera unless you take extraordinary measures - so why would you ever go to higher rez - you'd be contradicting your entire "argument".  You don't make sense.

Otherwise 46 or 36mp is wasted for me or at least not in my priority and I am going to pay lots more just for extra MP when I only need to print to 20x30" and view at my 1080p monitor.

Your 1080p monitor is only 2MP so, given your fixation on 100% /1:1 pixel level view, why would you want more than a 2 MP camera - all those other pixels are wasted according to your logic... but the truth is that they are NOT wasted because downsampling a higher rez image to a lower rez output (monitor or print) will increase apparent sharpness and reduce visible noise.

Look, if your gear does what you need it to, then I agree that you should not pay more for something that doesn't fit your needs.  My concern with you is that you continue to insist on spreading your lack of understanding of the benefits of high MP sensors.

Since unlikely Canon or Nikon will give a camera both can take 46mp and shoot at 10fps, my priority will pickup a 22/24mp camera that can shoot 10fps over a 46mp that only can shoot at 5fps. Even I start from scratch today, I'd still pickup 5D3 over D800E on my needs and better lens options Canon provides.  My upgrading path will be (as I said in other threads) to get a used 1DX (likely in 2015), get a 24 or 25mp 6D2 when it comes out (hope it has a high DR sensor then) and will sell 5D3 then.  High MP camera just not in my priority.  I know you might have a different priority that is OK.

I don't think about an upgrade path with imaginary cameras - I wait until new cameras are actually announced and evaluate benefits versus needs at that point.  Right now, I'm content with what I have in the D800E/D4 combo and lenses - I have speed an resolution options well covered and if I don't get good results, it's my fault and not my gear's.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
100New
fateNew
TrueNew
ThnxNew
OT:New
alsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow