can you tell the IQ/ISO difference game: canon5dmk3 vs D800e at iso 6400

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Good grief!
In reply to clarkent1234, May 26, 2013

JasonED asked in the post above :

Are you saying the 5d3 was F/2.8, 50mm, 1/2500 SS  and the 40D was F/2.8, 35mm, 1/1000 ??

and you replied:

yup exactly

WTF?!  So the 5D3 photo had 1 1/3 stops less exposure, and thus the exact same amount of light fell on the 5D3 sensor as the 40D sensor, and you're surprised the noise levels are so close?

C'mon, man.  Please.

First you say it's the 5D3 vs the D800 when it's the 5D3 vs the 40D.  If you didn't want to prejudice the outcome of people's guesses, just ask which photo looks less noisy without prompting them with false choices.

When you did reveal which cameras were used, you failed to give the EXIF, and then said:

but if you payed money on either camera, with todays software available and you do not editing? thats a waste of any dslr/money.....even on one that doesn't even do video or even able to focus in live view (40D)

Poor form.  Really poor form.

Now, I'm not accusing you of malicious deceit, so apologies if I come across that way.  But I am saying that there are [significantly] better ways to do what you did that would not have let to all this confusion, and quickly explained why your conclusion was bogus.

All that said, the 5D3 sensor has a QE of 50% vs the 40D sensor which has a QE of 33%, so I still would have expected to see a greater difference in noise between the photos that I did, so I'm thinking the whole balance of detail/noise via the application of NN (Noise Ninja) along with the downsampling of the 5D3 photo plays into this somehow.

So, per my request to you above, it would be nice if you made the RAW files available so that some of us might be able to see what's going on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow