Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,096Gear list
Like?
5D Mkiii AF limitations
In reply to SubPrime, May 26, 2013

I wanted to get a 5DmkIII to use with my Canon lenses.   Here's the problem:

1.  "The autofocus system used in the EOS 5D Mark III first appeared in the EOS 1D-X. The two systems are nearly identical but the 1D-X does have a slight edge when it comes to tracking moving subjects.

This is very clever – the camera uses the data gathered by its autoexposure sensor to calculate the colour of the moving subject that it supposed to track. It then uses this information to help differentiate the subject from the background. It works with faces as well as colour.

The EOS 5D Mark III has a different autoexposure sensor and doesn’t support this feature."

So it lacks what the 1DX and the D800 and the D4 have, using exposure information to track focus.

2.  The D4/800 have Auto-Area AF, which I use most of the time in street.   It uses AI and face recognition to select the focus point automatically.  In complex, fast-moving scenes, it gives me more keepers than selecting the AF point myself.   Canon does not have this, but does dumber things like select the nearest object, or something like that.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow