Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
HansN46
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
Re: Any suggestions for new flash?
In reply to Barrie Davis, May 25, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

HansN46 wrote:

After all I guess my flash is gone indeed. I used it om my assignment last Friday and I had to adjust the aperture every time I the distance to object was changed. So the TTL didn't work properly. Very annoying because I had to check all the images immediately after shooting.

I think it is very UN-likely that you have permanently damaged your flash by putting the batteries in the wrong way.... especially as you have stated that it appeared to have recovered normal operation.

Normal operation, well it's more like this: it worked again but then I noticed the problems I described. And more, one of my questions was: could it have been disorganized the electronic flash control in the body? In that case I need a new body i.s.o. flash.

Instead, I think you have some other problem....

..... maybe nothing more than a lack of appreciation that MOST shots need flash compensation, and this is true even when TTL is working properly and without any actual fault.

Many shots need flash compensation, obviously, but the adjustment needed after were bigger than before. I noticed a difference in exposure.

If I am right, buying a new flash isn't going to "fix" anything.

Perhaps you should do some controlled tests with your present flash, say, with camera on a tripod, and aimed at a domestic subject with a wide range of evenly distributed tones in it... possibly a wall of your family room? Then shoot frames with TTL flash control, and see what happens with a range of Flash Compensation values applied in incremental fashion.

When you have some results, maybe we can help to evaluate them.... [??]

That's what I plan to do, probably coming week. And I'm trying to sort out if it's the flash or the camera, using a borrowed Nikon speedflash.

So I'm looking for another flash now. Any suggestions within the pricerange to € 200 or a little higher?

Thnx, H.

-- hide signature --

It's a great art to make one real pro-image with any cam; it's very common to make many average images with a pro-cam!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Thanks anyway. H.

-- hide signature --

It's a great art to make one real pro-image with any cam; it's very common to make many average images with a pro-cam!

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow