Started May 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,418Gear list
Like?
GR street shots - first day out
May 25, 2013

Here are a bunch of street shots, mostly with the GR, a few with the Nikon Coolpix A for comparison. Mostly very low light, many at ISO 6400. It was a rainy day yesterday and most of the "street" action was indoors at the Reading Terminal Market (Philly). All of these were shot with zone focus, with the "snap focus" on the Ricoh and the good old focus ring and distance scale on the Nikon. All with varying degrees of my insane color processing or slightly more sane B&W...

These first three are from the Nikon:

The rest are the Ricoh:

This young lady makes me consider converting to Amish every time I walk past her counter...

In terms of the comparison, I like the Ricoh a lot, as I knew I would - operationally its basically the GRD3 with a better sensor than the GXR-28 and more speed in some areas. The only downside is the color issue explored elsewhere, but that's temporary and will be resolved at some point. The Nikon I like almost unconditionally. It doesn't have as many settings as the Ricoh, but then neither do I, and there's something about the relative simplicity of it I quite enjoy shooting with. The couple of things I don't like as much as the Ricoh about it, I don't DISlike at all - I do fine with the Nikon and never miss the Ricoh's slightly improved function in those areas. The Ricohs can take on a bit of a Rube Goldberg type of personality at times, once you customize it too much - they can hurt my head on occasion - the Nikon hasn't done that yet. I'd have to say that my favorite of the two, for now, is whichever one I've just finished shooting with. I'm hoping a clear favorite will emerge to make my life easier. Otherwise I have no idea how I'll decide.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow