Pentax — a Japanese Leica? Not really ...

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax — a Japanese Leica? Not really ...
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, May 25, 2013

Honestly, I don't know how far this analogy goes. I've only heard it when referring to the excellent line-up of prime lenses that allow you to make a Leica-like system at about the fifth of the cost, iirc. And in that case, the evidence is inarguable.

As for the S-system, one should not be surprised that something that has recently emerged onto the market outcompetes something that has been around for a number of years. That's why Nikon and Canon keep such close watch on each other's release cycles. Pentax, on the other hands, releases things when they are ready. I think it shows, and with the gripes coming out of those other two camps, it seems the users know about it, too. They just haven't found an exit strategy yet because they buy their gear at Walmart.

As a final note, I still cannot comprehend how a professional SLR body priced at or just under $1000 gives you cause for complaint. Given that Pentax wouldn't be expected to have the same economy of scale as Canikon, the fact that they can outcompete those companies on price for value is simply amazing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow