Just returned my 80-400mm VR AF-S lens

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Oh boy...
In reply to M Lammerse, May 25, 2013

I have returned only a few lenses.....

The 16-35 F4...because of the distortion and lack of sharpness at the long end. YES, I knew about these flaws beforehand, but I did not grasp the degree until I tested on my own camera. I also tested the Tokina 16-28 2.8 and that is the lens I kept.

The 24-120 F4...though this was a open copy loaned to me by a store.

And a few others. I usually try to borrow a friends lens, such as the 85mm 1.4G that I was able to closely compare to my 1.8G copy.

In most cases I keep what I buy, but once in a blue-moon I return an item because it does not meet my expectations. I see nothing wrong with the OP comments. He was hoping for performance that well exceeded what he already had and did not get it.

After many reviews and sample shots, I'm still not exactly sure where the 80-400 sits for IQ, so his trial seems reasonable to me. I seriously doubt his return is damaging my buying experience. If everyone suddenly stopped returning gear and improved Nikon's profits, they would NOT pass it down to the consumer anyway.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow