jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
Re: no need
In reply to qianp2k, May 25, 2013

qianp2k wrote:jjnik wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

jjnik wrote:

The point you won't seem to admit is that a high resolution camera (in this case a 36 MP Nikon, in the future likely an even higher MP Canon) can deliver very sharp images at the pixel level even handheld.  Here's another example for you to not understand (and this one features a Canon 7D and 70-200/2.8 IS  ).  Handheld at 1/400th:

- Full frame image (showing focus point):

- Cropped full size image (to get under the 20 MP gallery upload limit):

100% crop (800 pixels x 500 pixels - note this is slightly behind the actual focus point):

Sharp and clean photo.  You miss my point.  You should not read I mean you cannot get sharp D800 photos at 100% cropped level thru hand-held (on what shutter speed?).  I just said (read carefully), you'd need better technique such as using higher shutter than lower pixel amount 24mp D600 and 22mp 5DIII at respective per-pixel level.  I'd argue that 5DIII with 300L/2.8 II can take the same photo at 1/200 or even 1/150 for the same per-pixel level sharpness.  After of all, you used 1/400 from 300G/2.8 VR lens.

More pixels, higher crop factor needs higher shutter to get the same per-pixel level sharpness.

-- hide signature --

I didn't choose 1/400th - the camera did as I was shooting aperture priority - Any camera would do the same to get a proper exposure in that scene with the chosen aperture.

1/400 with the help of 4-stop VR, nothing special.

I didn't say it was special - it just was an image to show that in normal, everyday shooting conditions you can get excellent pixel level sharpness with a 36 MP camera (and,remember - this is a much higher magnification/smaller portion of an image than a 100% crop from a 22 or 24 MP camera would be - so you are capturing much smaller/subtle detail: you don't seem to get that at all!).

And what's your new diversion? So now we can't use VR?   Geez, do you realize how ridiculous you come accross in your posts?

But since you seem fixated on your quest to make everyone align with your belief that high resolution DSLR's need high shutter speeds and the best glass, let's try this:

Gee, most people know that if you don't use VR/IS, a proper shutter will be = 1 / <focus_length> * pixel density (including crop factor)

What's your point, exactly?  That's a well known rule of thumb for a minimum shutter speed to offset IQ degradation due to camera shake, but it's not an absolute and there are many factors - not the least of which is how steady one cand hold their rig!

1/10th with the 70-200 VR2 (which as you say is worse than the Canon counterpart) and with the 1.4x Teleconverter mounted to further dragrade the pixel level IQ:

I'd suggest you to turn OFF VR, then fire 20 shots from the same lens on 16mp D4 vs 36mp D800, and view them all at 100% cropped .  Then honestly let us know which camera has better average per-pixel sharpness?

Why would I turn VR off when I was shooting at 1/10 @ 150mm??  That's what it's there for!  And why would I fire off 20 shots without VR, when I could get this in 1 shot??

Some of us like to take pictures, not do testing/measurebating.  I'll let you in on another secret - not only do I use VR sometimes, I've also never AF fine tuned any of my lenses - oh, the horror....

- Full frame to show focus point:

-  Cropped full size image (to get under the 20 MP gallery upload limit):

Just one lucky shot?  How about you fire 20 shots and everytime you can get sharp photo at 1/10?  Or maybe Nikon VR is too good or maybe you have a super sturdy hands

I wouldn't expect to get 20 sharp photos with these settings, but I got it on the 1st shot, so why would I keep shooting??  I was there to capture images, not measurebate.... and I suspect the decent results were more related to the excellent Nikon VR2 as it was windy and about 38 degrees, so I spent much of the day outside shivering as I was unfortunately not really appropriately insulated for the unforecast conditions that day.

I will not call it tack sharp.  It seems doesn't make sense that you used 1.4x TC for a 150mm FL from 70-200G/2.8 VR II that natively covers 150mm FL.  Maybe this is the reason the photo is not really sharp in addition to under 1/10 sec despite excellent Nikon VR.

I didn't say it was tack sharp - I don't expect a 100% crop to ever really be tack sharp like I want to see at an image level.  However, it's quite good for the conditions and very sharp at the image level... (and sharper/more detailed than a crop at this magnification would be from a lower MP camera at the same conditions).

Did you ever stop to think (somehow, I suspect not) that the TC use does not make sense to you because you were not there that day and you did not bother to ask why I had it mounted?

Well, I had both cameras with me and was primarliy shooting cars on the track from a distance (and was using the D800E more for video).  I had had the 300/2.8 VR2 on the D4 and the 70-200/2.8 VR2 /w1.4 TC mounted due to the distance I had just been shooting from - My bag was in my car and I walked by the garage, saw the Lotus and wanted to take a shot.  The 300mm/D4 was too long, so I used the D800E.  I was not going to stop and take a TC off, esp. since I had no place to put it and it was windy with dust flying around.  Simple as that - Now, does that make sense to you???

Also, 4 stop VR2 is the max possible - not the typical result on every shot.  1/10th at 150 mm would be 4 stops under the rule of thumb you yourself cited, so not realistic to expect VR to work perfectly.  IMHO, the result is pretty sharp for a 100% crop under these conditions - I think most reasonable people would agree with that assessment.... but there's always 1 in a crowd...

Gee - I guess you're right:  a high MP camera needs the best glass and high shutter speeds or tripod use, otherwise the the pixel level (100% crop) is soft and mushy.....

Gee, turn off VR, and fire 20 shots each at 1/10 from D4 and D800 and then compare at 100% cropped level.  It's consensus in photography world that longer focus length, higher pixel density either from high amount of pixels or from crop factor requires higher shutter for the same level of per-pixel sharpness provided without help from other factors such as VR/IS or tripod.  You're trying to change the rule.

I'm not changing any rules.  You make it sound like you always have to take extraordinary measures to get pixel level sharpness out of a high MP DSLR.  I've just demonstated that shutter speeds one may normally use in everyday shooting (and, God forbid - use of VR) will be good enough in many cases.

Like any camera (including 22/24 MP FF, or 18/24 MP APSC), getting the maximum IQ requires good technique and good glass, but that is not unique to the D800.  The real difference is that a high MP camera provides one with the potential to capture details a lower res camera can't - but, under the same conditions, the results will never be less when the final images are compared at the same size ( whether large or small)

But now I give up  - I've clearly shown that your mantra that you can't get good pixel level sharpness with a high MP camera without extraordinary measures is simply not true.  You just won't accept that so I won't waste any more time trying to discuss this with someone like you - Continue with your beliefs, as you are entitled to them.  I just wanted to provide an image-based counterpoint for others to consider in forming their own opinions.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
100New
fateNew
TrueNew
ThnxNew
OT:New
alsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow