Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,804Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to Daisy AU, May 25, 2013

Such a silly thread.

In spite of the claims the major problem here is the lens snobs. I know them well.

BOTH of the lenses are excellent. I spent several days with both before choosing the 1.8G. I like it better, but I'm in no way threatened or worried about folks who like the 1.4G, any more than I fret over people who don't like my favorite color (it's green!).

What I see here are people who paid a LOT for a lens that generally has a optical difference that is quite small vs. the 1.8G version. Argue all you want, but these debates pop up again and again because the differences are THAT small.

List it any way you want...

The 1.4G has....better bokeh, better build, warmer rendition (Some prefer this)

The 1.8G has....better sharpness, lighter weight/size, cooler rendition (I find it absolutely more accurate)

These lenses can do the same kind of work in the same situations. Differences will be tiny. The sharpness advantage for the 1.8G will be SMALL. The Bokeh advantage for the 1.4G will be small. But I kept my Sigma 50mm 1.4 because it's bokeh is nicer than any other AF 50mm out there.

For the 85mm I usually (not always) liked the 1.8G results more often. So what? The 85mm 1.4 is great as well. I'd be happy with it and probably never notice the difference.

Price for me is not a factor. I own speaker cables that cost more than most people's camera systems here and how silly is that?!!? I buy what I prefer and the snobs can take a hike and shoot something, which they rarely do.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow