Inconceivable! Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,072Gear list
Like?
Not inconceivable, just a bit sad and quite normal.
In reply to r e cummings, May 25, 2013

r e cummings wrote:

I told them that my 80-200 afs stopped focusing and more than likely had a dead focus motor. They had me send it to them. Status of my repair is "• PARTS NO LONGER AVAILABLE • NO REPAIR item shipped". How is this even possible? This was their premier zoom, and only went out of production in 2004. All I can say is LAME! Very sad because this is such a fantastic lens.

As others have pointed out, its production ended in 2003, which is ten years ago. Also, as others have mentioned, this lens (and several of the other early AF-S designs) have been plagued with focus motor problems - other examples with similar problems are the AF-S 17-35/2.8 and the AF-S 28-70/2.8. These lenses have in common a complex internal design which makes them difficult, and consequently expensive to repair. Modern lens designs are less complex making them both more service friendly and cheaper to manufacture in the first place. (Source: A third party service shop here where I live with some 35 years of experience repairing mostly Nikon gear)

I can understand your pain not being able to repair a excellent lens, but it has not been produced for tens years which is a rather common time when spare parts become less readily available. And in the case of these early AF-S designs, I suspect Nikon might have run out of some spare parts a bit prematurely because those lenses have been prone to breakdowns, partly due to what seem like overly complex designs.

So, it is really not inconceivable, just a bit sad and quite normal.

I myself bought a heavily used AF-S 80-200/2.8 back in 2005, $399 from Adorama (this was before the D3 and the surge in prices for used Nikon lenses). I shot just shy of 100K images with it, loving its performance, before its focus motor died. This happened just at the time when the new 70-200/2.8 VR II became available, so I got one of those instead and left my broken AF-S 80-200 to rest in the cupboard. As much as I loved the AF-S 80-200, the new 70-200 is overall a better lens. But, sadly also a bit expensive.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow