I would like to discuss the aesthetics of photography...

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,169Gear list
Like?
Well, a distinction needs to be made between aesthetics....
In reply to Great Bustard, May 25, 2013

....and taste alone.  Aesthetics includes taste, usually capital T taste, but has other components that are more objective and quantifiable.

Much of what the original referenced comment(s) seems to me to have to do with were taste (small t) considerations.

The larger question of what constitutes a set of aesthetics for photography as a medium distinct from all the other visual arts is sort of an interesting one----was definitely interesting about 40 years ago. In 2013, an age of mixed media, mash-ups, and meta everything maybe the discussion is displaced a bit into another one with a wider scope?  Is an aesthetic discussion about photography qua photography a little quaint now?  Not that we shouldn't do it....

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4MPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow