Inconceivable! Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Solutions Well reasoned and balanced
In reply to joneil, May 25, 2013

joneil wrote:

One last point.  A year ago I dropped my 24-70mm and had to send it for repair.  After that cost and experience I have been going back more and more to manual focus lenses.  new ones like Zeiss or older Nikkor glass.

I agree totally with what you're saying overall. I just wanted to point out something. The 24-70 along with some other prograde Nikon lenses of recent make have shear areas in the lens, making them break in half when dropped, even sometimes from short distances. I was told this is to protect the lens elements from jarring loose like the crumple zones on a car. They told me it was to make it cheaper to repair in the case of impact damage. They just needed to replace the shear fittings and reassemble the lens.

In actual practice, I've seen very high repair bills associated with merely "reassembling" the lens when this happens, so it might be a very one sided advantage.

Just to put this in perspective. I got this from a fellow NPS member who was talking with Melville over the repair of his 24-70mm, so take it as what it is, a third party anectdotal story which may or may not be completely reliable. I have seen the shear points shown in a diagram at a Nikon booth. It was touted as an advantage at the time. Again, not completely reliable as I can be quite gullible.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow