Seeking ways of tracking birds in flight with 500mm lens

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,316Gear list
Re: It takes time to get the hang of it
In reply to LDBOK, May 25, 2013

LDBOK wrote:

I sometimes use a home-made shoulder stock, it adds some weight, but seems to give me smoother pans when following birds. I tried shooting BIF with a gimbal, but was surprised how difficult it was to aquire and stay on the subject.

Interesting method!

Would it be possible to support some of the weight on my right shoulder? (This isn't something I'm familiar with). I can imagine that it could extend forward of the lens tripod bracket, to give greater leverage and a better grip with my left hand, then extend to on top of my right shoulder, rather than just up to it. Let's try .....

My woodworking skills are rubbish, but I just did a lash-up as proof of concept. (And used my Q to take the photos. I knew it would be useful sometime!)

When the wood behind the camera is on my right shoulder, I can just about see through the eyepiece with my right eye. And I can hold the wood in front of the tripod bracket on the lens with my left hand, and keep my left elbow against my chest for extra support. I still couldn't do this for long periods, but it does appear to offer smoother panning.

This shows promise (if done properly)! Thanks!

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow