Seeking ways of tracking birds in flight with 500mm lens

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,593Gear list
Like?
Re: It takes time to get the hang of it
In reply to LDBOK, May 25, 2013

LDBOK wrote:

I sometimes use a home-made shoulder stock, it adds some weight, but seems to give me smoother pans when following birds. I tried shooting BIF with a gimbal, but was surprised how difficult it was to aquire and stay on the subject.

http://larrydbrown.com

Interesting method!

Would it be possible to support some of the weight on my right shoulder? (This isn't something I'm familiar with). I can imagine that it could extend forward of the lens tripod bracket, to give greater leverage and a better grip with my left hand, then extend to on top of my right shoulder, rather than just up to it. Let's try .....

My woodworking skills are rubbish, but I just did a lash-up as proof of concept. (And used my Q to take the photos. I knew it would be useful sometime!)

When the wood behind the camera is on my right shoulder, I can just about see through the eyepiece with my right eye. And I can hold the wood in front of the tripod bracket on the lens with my left hand, and keep my left elbow against my chest for extra support. I still couldn't do this for long periods, but it does appear to offer smoother panning.

This shows promise (if done properly)! Thanks!

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow