Did Nikon screw up?

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Did Nikon screw up? --> No.
In reply to jacobwhite, May 25, 2013

jacobwhite wrote:

Is it worth doing the switch and spending at least 10000 on camera and glass? Nikon seemed to be getting it right with the d700/d3 duo - but now I'm not so sure...

I'm thinking long term and it seems that Canon has been more reliable for professional needs over all...

Am I the only one feeling this way?

You would be in a very small group.

Am I wrong?

Yes. IMO. Though I see little or no difference between "professional" needs and the needs of anyone desiring the very best performance and IQ from  their cameras. In fact. so called "professional" cameras (let's call them top of the line cameras instead) still have a ways to go before being completely useful AND completely convenient to use.

As a D700 user requiring an update, I somehow feel screwed...

1. Switch to Canon and buy a 5DIII (too expensive to switch; what to do with all that glass)?

As a person who shoots both brands and knows a bit about re-arranging, it is not as expensive as folks think given the benefits of having the features that are right for you. In my case, having both brands allows me to use the best lenses from both brands and avoids those compromises when a lens in a given FL or FL range isn't up to par. You might want to consider this approach for this or other reasons. Regardless of what you do, keeping the D700 and the best of the best Nikkor lenses in your lineup has more value than selling the camera and lenses and getting a pittance for them. Every so often, you can do the leapfrog thing with your cameras to keep them up to date. By the way, there is not much of a loss in selling top of the line lenses if this is where you finally end up. Hopefully, you've invested wisely.

2. Buy a D800 - from what I can see it seems that compared to the 5D, the D800 seems comparable on paper - but unless I'm totally wrong it seems in reality its auto-focusing is slower, file sizes annoyingly huge at lesser image quality, in particular colours and noise, and slower.

Yes you are partially wrong.

The D800 should never be compared to a 5D3 if reasonable conclusions are to be expected. IMO. Nikon does not have a 5D3 competitor and Canon does not have a D800 competitor. I clearly see these cameras as being best used for different purposes. But, you can press any camera into service for any job, right? I mean, you can shoot sports, BIF, Portrait and Landsacape et al with a D700.

By the way, if you do the 5D3, and need a standard zoom, get the 24-70 II. That is a phenomenal lens.

3. Buy a D600, which is a step backwards in most things except the sensor, and size. It could almost work, if it wasn't for the ridiculous AF area - all crammed in the middle, whaaaat??? And its AF speed is sloooow!

I don't know much about the D600, but Dude, there should be little effective difference in AF point spread.

4. Buy a D4, which is heavier, bulkier, and too expensive.

Well, it is only a few mega-pixels more than the D700 but you seem to suggest that the D700 speed is satisfactory. Why are you requiring an update then?

I'd go for this option if it wasn't so bulky, if at least I could get it without the battery grip - I never got the use of the battery grip. Changing a battery isn't that much of a problem that it would mean that the grip absolutely needs to be built-in!

I totally agree. C&N strive tirelessly to find features that can be arbitrarily set apart as professional in order to charge ridiculously high prices to otherwise smart folks.

Somehow the D800 is a lesser camera than the D700 - as a D700 shooter I find myself stuck with unpleasing choices

The D800 is a different camera and is infinitely better suited than a D700 for certain types of photography. Apparently, the same holds true for the D700, IYO, which, of course, is the only opinion that will count when the plastic comes out.

Good luck to you.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow