jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice colors
In reply to qianp2k, May 25, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I reduced uncropped original photo to 2000-pixel wide. 

5D3+100-400L full scene

- Heavy Cropped Image (not reduced in size - so you can view at 100% if you want to):

Now here is 100% cropped on the pelican ONLY.

above 5D3+100-400L 100% cropped

there is no difference by showing a small portion of photo and entire photo at original size that may not fit into your monitor.

I think your wording might be adding to your confusion

Not that is your part.

Obviously less resolution in the 5D pic

less size. But it contains more textual details.  Check both birds' bodies, it's pretty clear my one contains more feather details.  Please be fair not because you're a Nikon shooter and many times I don't share with your opinions.

but I'm a little surprised at the noise in the blue channel at ISO 240.

ISO 250, blue channel is from reflection of blue ocean.  Think about, his photo taken at 1/4000 while my one taken at 1/1000.  Sure it's one stop difference of aperture f2.8 vs f5.6.  But still his photo received more light and obviously the bird got sunlight lit.  My pelican unfortunately was in shadow that together adding a bit of noise, not much and I can NR more that I can do later.

Not as much light as you think - I shot shutter priority at 1/4000 as these birds were lightning fast and it was underexposed wide open.  I added +0.67 stop in post and added 75 (out of 100) in shadow recovery - both during RAW conversion in Capture NX2.

To compare, here's the processed image I posted:

And here's the much darker original capture:

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
100New
fateNew
TrueNew
ThnxNew
OT:New
alsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow