Just returned my 80-400mm VR AF-S lens

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,570Gear list
Like?
I wish I was brave like you are..
In reply to sjprintz, May 25, 2013

sjprintz wrote:

I bought this about 1 week ago to use for wildlife on my D800e.  The reviews I read were quite good and I was looking forward to replacing my 70-200mm F2.8 + 1.7 TC with this lens.

I did some comparisons and the 80-400mm is a little sharper than my combination.  At 5.6, the 80-400mm is quite sharp and at F8, it's even better.  When I use the 70-200mm VR + TC, I usually stop down to F2.8 as well.

Unfortunately, the 80-400mm was just a little better in my opinion. Only when I pixel peeped did I really see the difference.  However, it was not enough of a difference to justify the $3000 cost of this lens (BTW I am saying $3000 because you need to buy a new foot for this lens.  Nikon should really give us a good support rather than a nice carrying case).   The lens is also quite wide and hard to hand hold for long.

I think if the lens were priced below $2000 it would be worth it to me.  It just seems overpriced for my needs.  Just my 2 cents.

SJPrintz

once I buy the lenses - despite overlapping ranges, its difficult for me to return or sell them off.. each one has its unique strengths. oh as far as cost is concerned, it was reasoned out before I BOUGHT the lens.

so your decision to buy try n return sounds more like a regular habit than a fault or price of the lens... and you just raised the price for rest of us.

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow