Pentax — a Japanese Leica? Not really ...

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,109
Like?
Re: Pentax — a Japanese Leica? Not really a valid comparison
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, May 24, 2013

sorry i have not read the whole thread, so i may be repeating what others have said. but i own both pentax and leica. imho they target different market segments and different wants/needs. perceived weaknesses of pentax tend to be slower than premium af, lesser quality flash control, gaps in long lenses. no leica rangefinder owner even thinks af is an issue, i almost never see complaints about flash (i get the feeling most don't bother) and long lenses, well, yes, they exist and some are wonderful, but still not a central concern of most buyers as far as i can tell.

pentax has tried to get into various niches, as with the 645d. but hard times have made it harder to hold on to and fulfill its promise. i hope that changes, but the dslr market is shrinking, from what the analysts say and it takes a lot of capital to back swift adaptation.

anyway, from what i have read, the japanese leica idea had to do with lens quality above all. pentax still produces some of the lenses that helped create that claim and of those i own, i have no intention of giving even one up in the hopes that pentax can get into the full frame market and give those lenses their context back.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow