A few observations.

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,519Gear list
Like?
I agree you, but...
In reply to Richard the picture man, May 24, 2013

In general terms I agree you but please consider nobody as the newcomer would need the best automated tools in order to get decent pictures.

An expert Photographer certainly will have much better skills to cope with not so good AF, poor metering, no image stabilization or even higher noise at high ISO setup - one absolute amateur would have no idea how to handle such variables in order to preserve decent image quality.

The bottom line is nobody else an amateur will need the best automatic tools embedded into a camera in order to get at least acceptable pictures.

Regards,

Richard the picture man wrote:

I look, I read, but mostly I listen.

One thing I read once (in a Readers Digest I think) was that of all interchangeable lens cameras sold, over 70% were used for up to two months after purchase (probably for a holiday trip) and never used again.

From reading the forums here, those people asking for advice nearly always ask for advice regarding Nikon v Canon. It would seem that other brands do not exist.

Several of these people give me the impression that they truly believe spending more money = taking better pictures. Moreover some of the repliers tend to foster and encourage that belief.

I also get the impression that many newcomers (not all ) have a marked disinclination to actually start their hobby at the beginning. Very few of them want to truly learn about things like  depth of field, perspective compression, Hyperfocal distance, panning, pre focusing etc. It seems as if they want to buy a camera, set it to scene mode and fire away. No wonder they get bored after just a few months.

There are people on this site and of course other sites, giving out advice that is incorrect and misleading. They do not know how little they really know. It would seem that they have not even read the original post and certainly do not understand the original question.

I listen to other people, sometimes in a camera club situation prattling on about how superior their camera is. Only to find that one year later they have left photography for some other hobby.

As someone who has derived enormous pleasure from photography and would wish the same pleasure to all newcomers, it saddens me that we photographers have allowed this situation to develop. Years ago we had the desire and discipline to learn  but not the superb equipment we have now. These days we have the super equipment but very few people with the desire and discipline to make the effort and learn.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow