First attempt at Street Photography

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
not all street photography is alike
In reply to tedolf, May 24, 2013

to me, these picss don't speak to me.  i don't get an idea of what the people in them are like, or how they're involved - or not involved - with a situation or the environment or others around them, not does it show comparisons or the big part of the story.  like some other posters, i do feel the second pic hints at a story - is she waiting for someone or something?  has she been stood up?  has something happened and she's not sure what to do?

a lot of people shoot this kind of street photography - i've seen other shots like this on the street photography forum.  i nicknamed this style "street portraits", because they focus on a single person rather than including what's happening around them as part of the picture.  are these studies of a single person or a couple people on the street in candids street photography?  opinions differ, but art and schools of art are always hard to define.

roderic, have you spent time checking out bresson?  he often got such very interesting pics of what people do - everyday stuff, but he waited for the right pic to tell the story or show something that stood out.  he shot pics that put a person or people in very interesting lighting or showed them in or near interesting geometric views.  also got some great pics showing group dymanics or a group relating to their surroundings.  but he also did do portraits or pics of individuals.  his stuff is great stuff that helped define this kind of photography, and he didn't worry about whether a pic was sharp so much as catching the perfect moment.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow