Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny thread!
In reply to Chrichey, May 24, 2013

Lawl! Ding ding ding. Even funnier than me. Thanks for the laugh, crichey.

Chrichey wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I'd say there's quite a bit of lying going on here. QUITE A BIT.

Having used ALL of the 85mm lenses and carefully comparing the 1.4G to the 1.8G, I chose the 1.8. I have fairly specific reasons that suit HOW I SHOOT and WHAT I SHOOT.

But anyone who claims there are big differences between the two lenses is simply a liar. No matter how you care to look at it, both lenses are VERY sharp, produce VERY nice bokeh and VERY good color.

Most of the time, shooting with my D800 and D700, I could hardly tell which lens shot what! Nobody, who's seriously out there shooting, would give two hoots about the tiny optical differences. That's how small they are.

I think folks need to grow up a bit. Many of the posts "1.8 slays" and "No comparison" are just comical. If you can actually take a good photo, the differences between these two lenses would be about as important to the final image as what you had for breakfast.

Both are excellent. I prefer the 1.8G. Some folks like the 1.4. What's the big deal? They are so close that these discussions are common. It's not rocket science. Pick the lens you like and take some photos!

Robert

Forgedaboutit

85mm 1.4g is better than 85mm 1.8g. ....period....What more don't you understand. Nikon made a cheap lens good and made a rugged expensive lens the best you could ever find...what more do you need to understand? Feel free to buy the 1.8. I am hard to find anybody who actually had the money to buy the 1.4g comfortably who did not. The best can not be explained well enough in words but in pictures, so as you go on with your career in photography you may begin to understand the ruggedness and examplary image quality of the 85mm 1.4g. time will tell

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow