Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
Advice needed - Computer for Photo Editing
May 24, 2013

I have been using a laptop for my photo editing, but its capacity isn't really adequate, and now something is wrong with the monitor.  Research so far into what I ought to get in terms of the innards has been interesting, but when I go to the computer companies' websites, it is difficult for me to know just what everything means.  I like the laptop because I can take it with me, and because it doesn't have all the wires of a desktop.  But the main thing is to get a good set-up without spending a fortune.  Also, I posted here in the PC forum because although the Apple/Mac is very popular and the screen optics are great, I am used to a PC (mostly Dell), and never liked using a Mac the times I have used one.

First question:  should I stick with the laptop and eventually get a better (second) monitor, or should I go for a desktop that already has a good monitor?

Second question:  Any recommendations for specific brands and specific set-ups?  Then tell me why!

Here's a general summary of what my research has come up with:

CPU:  dual core 3.0GHz OR quad core

Cache: L3 6MB, or 8MB

RAM: Minimum 4GB (maybe 8GB better);  info about whether runs in dual or triple channel mode; info about speed (MHz), latency, DDR

Hard Drive:  SSD is faster than HDD, but I am not sure how much more expensive this is, and whether it is worth it; HDD minimum 7200RPM, SDD minimum 100MB/s

RAID: Not sure whether RAID 0 or RAID 1 is better - I'll be using an external hard drive

Memory Bus:  at least 256 bit

Monitor: Matte screen rather than glossy; have read that CCFL backlight is better than LED backlight, something called IPS monitors are best for editing; wide color gamut and high pixel resolution

I don't claim to understand all of this, but at least it is a starting point!!!

Help will be much appreciated.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow