Manfrotto 190 vs BeFree (other suggestions welcome)

Started May 24, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skpman
Regular MemberPosts: 206
Like?
Manfrotto 190 vs BeFree (other suggestions welcome)
May 24, 2013

So I have been working with a $50 Dolica tripod for around half a year now since I recently got into photography. I thought it was fine and didn't understand why people were buying $1000 tripods... until I tried to get some night time city skyline shots in windy conditions. I was tried to zoom in for a multi-shot panorama and the camera just kept rattling. It was horrible. I'm visiting Chicago next month and I need something to keep my OMD safe and still.

Portability is a big factor for me since I travel. The tripod must fit in carry-on luggage and can't be too long. The Dolica's 22" was good. The Dolica is 60" extended and while I could use a bit more height, it was usable for me.

So I don't know anything about Tripods and I'm doing some research and I came across the Manfrotto 055 and 190. 055 is a bit too big in my opinion, and I don't think I need the extra weight capacity for m43. I'm leaning towards the 190 in either aluminum or carbon fiber. I'd love the lighter CF but afraid it'll shake in wind too.

Then i came across the new Manfrotto BeFree. This is most tempting because its price. At $200 with a cheap head, I'm thinking that's a deal... It's very compact at about 15" and the max height is only a couple inches shorter than the 190X. However, it is a 4-piece tripod and looks like the last extension may be a bit unstable.

I also know that Slik makes some decent budget tripods? Can I get some help please? Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow