Just returned my 80-400mm VR AF-S lens

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Just returned my 80-400mm VR AF-S lens
In reply to nunatak, May 24, 2013

nunatak wrote:

btw, to date, there have no official (IMATEST) reviews i'm aware of — only informal KR style opinions.

I thought IMATEST set-ups are not designed for testing distant focus. Presumably most people would be buying this lens for taking images of objects a fair distance away.  If there is a difference between near and far performance would IMATEST  results be that useful?

i still prefer the IQ of my 300mm f4 AF-S better at 300mm. however, performance and convenience are to me just as important as IQ. especially if i miss the shot while changing out the glass. currently, there is no better safari alternative. if one is going to buy a lens in the first place, it's more efficient to know why one wants it before they buy it. people who collect lenses simply on the basis of their IQ musrt do a very limited range of shooting. still, as long as these retail rentals remain risk free — let the retailer beware.

In good light, I'd imagine 80-400mm  AF-S on a D7100 would give you fantastic range.

i'm less sympathetic to the double standards of an argument where someone whines about the price of the same merchandise their own behavior helped inflate. they're selfishly making it more difficult for people that follow behind them to afford the next iteration of glass.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow