I would like to discuss the aesthetics of photography...

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ROC124
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you saying...
In reply to Jack Hogan, May 24, 2013

Jack Hogan wrote:

Sometimes detail detracts from a specific image, sometimes it adds to it - choosing what is necessary and what is not is part of the artistry.  Which may be more or less appreciated depending on the times*.

I agree with Jack's point. It is a matter of using all the image elements and characteristics in a way that creates a fine image. That may result in great detail everywhere, only in some places, or nowhere. Same applies to contrast, color, et.al. What is the image concept, what story is being told and how do you manage the image characteristics to do that? There isn't one right or best way.

The comments I've heard from many art buyers aren't really about detail or any other one characteristic of photographs. It is about the tendency of many photographs to look like technical exercises displaying the excellence of the equipment. The photographer forgets to use the image to tell a story or convey emotion. That is fine for some purposes, but isn't necessarily what non-photographers want to put on their walls at home. It might work better in an office or institution setting.

One buyer told me her desire for art is to trigger memories, and her memories are rarely sharp. She said to many photographs in galleries leave nothing to her imagination, i.e. the photographer has locked her into one way of experiencing the image. But that is just one person's view.

That said, she bought one of my most uniformly sharp, detailed prints, because the other image characteristics triggered a pleasant memory.

-- hide signature --
 ROC124's gear list:ROC124's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4MPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow