I would like to discuss the aesthetics of photography...

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,972Gear list
Like?
Photographic language
In reply to Great Bustard, May 24, 2013

Perhaps I have an odd point of view of Photography as I see the Aesthetics in Photography exactly like any language (natural or man-made):

1. It is a form of communication between people so you have to arrange a common code in order to transfer information (Semantics)
  2. It is dynamic, so its vocabulary (elements) and syntax (rules of use) will change with the time
  3. Its real appreciation usually will happen only after the mastering on the language elements

It is the reason, for example, I cannot appreciate some kinds of "art Photography" from 60´s and 70´s. Almost all are crappy to me despite I read eventually some of them been purchased for hundreds thousands dollars! Certainly I am aware it is due to my ignorance on the used language (its vocabulary and syntax).

Of course, exactly as "natural communication language", several Photographic languages or Photographic Aesthetics can co-exist simultaneously in different niches but there is always a main stream where most of people will ship.

If you have a particular Photographic market to work on, your success will depend of your creativeness to deal with the elements the Aesthetics your target customers have to Photography and to maintain close follow up for the tendencies and changes in this Aesthetics.

I am not aware the actual modern tendencies changing the current language, but I am absolute sure the language is changing.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4MPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow