Nikon 24-70 vs primes once again?

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 980Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 24-70 vs primes once again?
In reply to Paul Liukas, May 24, 2013

After doing extensive tests, I found that the 24-70 is a fine collection of f/2.8 primes from 28mm to 70mm. This is why I value that lens so much.

My 50mm f/1.8G is not any better than my 24-70 at f/2.8, in fact the zoom renders better, has less flare and bokeh is very similar at that aperture. The 28mm f/1.8G is not better than the zoom, again at f/2.8. Bokeh seems better, though.

Think about this. What would be more expensive, buying the zoom or buying a complete collection of f/2.8 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 70mm primes?

The only reason for choosing primes is if you absolutely need super fast apertures, but in most cases you'll end up shooting at f/2.8 anyway for DOF. The zoom is much faster focusing than any primes.

Finally, the argument of "it's easier to replace a prime than a zoom" is not true, unless you stick with the cheap f/1.8 primes. Mind you that most of the pro-build primes are even more expensive than the zoom.

-- hide signature --
 Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow