A few observations.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard the picture man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831
Like?
Re: A few observations.
In reply to Daisy AU, 11 months ago

Good thoughts, thanks.  I'm fairly new to photography, although I'm 54.  Everything I have learnt so far about photography over the last 2 years, has been out of my own accord, no formal training, no internet course, etc.  I have read countless books, reviews, articles, etc. and I have very much enjoyed it.

What has surprised me most since participating in this forum, is the impatience displayed by some. Maybe because those people are too young or couldn't care less, except being 'right'. Additionally, some lack the understanding that for some people, photography will never become their livelihood (because they have a different career) and it's just a hobby, which should be perfectly acceptable.

From my observation, many members have incredible technical knowledge, however, in my opinion, quite a few lack 'people skills' when participating in forums like this.  The 'tone' of their comments is in many occasions quite harsh, arrogant and off-putting.  It becomes very much a "one-upmanship" situation ... and that is what saddens me.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Thank you Daisy, it is refreshing to know there are others, who see things the same way as I do.  There is no doubt about the amazing spread of photographic knowledge on this site. There is also no doubt  about the amazing lack of good manners and thoughtlessness exhibited by some individuals. Thankfully they are very much a tiny minority,but perhaps you have heard the saying "Empty kettles make the most noise", however the vast majority of people on dpreview are thoughtful and very helpful.

When things go of course, it is nearly always through over enthusiasm for the hobby they have chosen and the gear they own. There is no problem in that, as far as I am concerned.

Just had a quick look at your flickr account. They look like interesting pictures, and I will go and have another look later, when I have more time to enjoy them.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow