Pentax — a Japanese Leica? Not really ...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax — a Japanese Leica? Not really ...
In reply to zakaria, 11 months ago

When only Canon had a full frame camera there was no other choice, of course.  If Pentax had released a FF camera then, they would have been the only alternative.  They would have been considered for that reason alone: the only other game in town.  If I had Nikon and wanted FF, I would have had to leave the brand.  I could have decided on Pentax or Canon.

Now, it is a little harder for Pentax to become a Nikon because Nikon is already there.  Pentax would not be the only other game and people would have to make a choice between Canon or Nikon or Pentax and I think most people would stop at the first two...  Most people are already with either of those two so they wouldn't be required to leave the brand for FF.

The time for Pentax to be a Nikon was before the D700 and D3.  Maybe they can be a Sony and do FF ILC first.  For FF ILC, I think being first will be important...  For SLR, I think a few years as the only alternative to Canon would have been good.  If Sony does FF ILC first, there will be no 'few years as the only alternative'.  There are a couple other companies that could follow along.  Well, at least, Fuji.  Maybe Canon or Nikon will.  I doubt either of those two will introduce the thing.

zakaria wrote:

If they have to learn any lessons they have to learn it from nikon not from leica.nikon was an APS/c manufacturer untill the D700 and D3 came then the market has been devided between canon and nikon.pentax with Ricoh can do the same as nikon if they want to be a real competitor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow