Longer Tele capability and FX V DX

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230Gear list
Like?
Re: Longer Tele capability and FX V DX
In reply to Graham Sp, May 24, 2013

Graham Sp wrote:

will upgrading my DX body in the future also improve my tele capability or not (in strong daylight).

The more MP you put on the captured image area the greater the resolution - though you have to print bigger than 16x12 to see a difference viewing close at 15 inches distance from 17MP - which you have with your D7000 or cropped D600.

Despite some web noise there seems negligible image quality difference between DX and FX same technology same MP (e.g. D7100 v D600) below 1600 ISO.

What and how you shoot comes into any decision.

The D7100 gives you more long lens reach at 24 MP than your D600, and the interesting option for a lot of action photography of AF points across the entire frame at 16 MP with the D7100 1.3 crop mode.

The D600 has better noise and resolution at high ISO's though if highest quality resolution and dynamic range is your came it is a case of what you do not get rather than what you might like with either camera by 6400 ISO.

I have the D800 and plan to upgrade my D7000 to the D7100 soon, but your needs may be different to mine.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow