Seeking ways of tracking birds in flight with 500mm lens

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,591Gear list
Like?
Re: Barry...
In reply to brandrx, May 24, 2013

brandrx wrote:

I can abtain perfect balance with my Pentax DA*300/4 on my Wimberly gimbal. One thng a lot of folks don't realize is not only do you need to move the lens back or forth to obtain balance but you also need to move the lens up or down so that the center of the lens is in line with the vertical rotation point. On my Wimberly I can drop the platform that the lens sits on all the way down for my Pentax DA*250-600mm f5.6 or raise it almost all the way up for my Pentax DA*300mm f4.

I bought a Lensmaster RH2, which doesn't have such vertical adjustment. (I understand the principle of having the axes of rotation through the center of gravity of the lens+camera combination).

In practice this means that the assembly has a tendency to move from extreme pitch towards the horizontal. The small amount of friction keeps it in place at smaller pitch, and that is normally OK for me.

Perhaps I can find a different way of moving the lens towards the axis of rotation.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow