Is there a SIMPLE flash for Canon DSLR's?

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Is there a SIMPLE flash for Canon DSLR's?
May 24, 2013

I have pretty much always been an available light photographer as have never liked what flash does to pictures, plus it's just a really weak point in my knowledge.  I used a Vivitar 283 from the mid 70's till I went digital, so I never had any ETTL benefits or knew anything about "auto" settings.

I have had a Canon 580 EX for years and have never taken the time to really understand how to use it nor have I needed it.  But I know enough to know that it's overkill for what I do.  I really just need to bounce it indoors and outdoors I want to be able to use it for fill without blowing the subjects away and darkening the background.  I also want to shoot in manual at f8 1/250.  That's it.  There are way too many settings on the 580 ex for me and I never have any idea what I am doing.  If I fool around a lot, just by luck I may get what I need, but I was wondering if there is some kind of very simple flash that does just the basics that I need.  I have a 5D MIII and a 6D.  Thanks, Bill

PS - I refuse to deal with guide numbers!!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow