Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,561Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to Lance B, May 24, 2013

Lance B wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Lance B wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

But have you personally tried and compared the 1.8 lens, Lance? It seems to me that it would be a little difficult to make any claims about the relative performance without having first hand experience.

I am not making the claims, you are, and that is what I am calling you on. Do I have to say it again? Sheesh! you stated emphatically:

"Sharpness is a no-brainer. The cheaper lens simply slays the 1.4 all the way up to f/5.6 or 8. It's not even close for the first couple of stops."

You basically canned the 85 f1.4G, not just simply said that the 85 f1.8 might have been a tad better say, when value for money is considered, but you canned it outright.

Also, I know that it's easy to fall into the trap of name calling, but I'd appreciate if you would try to show some restraint. I am neither slow nor ignorant, thank you, just curious and open minded enough to compare a couple of lenses and anecdotally share my results.

I didn't call you a name at all, I said you were a little slow on the uptake. That is not necessarily an indictment of you, just that you may be in this case.

Sorry that I touched a raw nerve.

There is no raw nerve, I am just calling you out on your claim, which flies in the face of all evidence, anecdotally, review and test.

The 1.8 lens is in no way "beloved" to me. It's a lens and I am able to maintain some perspective in my life.

LOL. Really? Making such an outlandish claim? That certainly doesn't seem as though you are able to maintain some perspective in life.

p.s. Have you tried the 1.8 lens personally?

I don't need to as I have seen extensive photographic results from both lenses from accomplished photogs and I have also read the just about every review and can make a very good judgement from that. My thoughts would be similar to those of these reviews, and that is, both lenses are excellent:

The 85 f1.4 G is a smidgen sharper from f2.8 to f5.6 and better in the corners and has wonderful bokeh in certain circumstances. It has low CA, is well built and focuses quite fast, is quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

The 85 f1.8G is a smidgen sharper at the wider apertures, also has wonderful bokeh in certain situations, has reasonably low CA, is well built, a tad slower to AF and is a real bargain.

However, overall both lenses are very close, both are sharp, both have relatively low CA, both well built and both focus well. So, regardless that I have never used the 85 f1.8G I am sure when I say that, neither slays the other in any respect.

Each to their own ... I, for one, appreciated MisterHairy's real life comparison and don't see it as an attention seeking (or whatever else you called it) thread.\

You are completely missing the point and maybe you want to miss the point. However, as you are in the market for the f1.8 version, I can see why you would make your comment.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ney_images/

Firstly, I am not in the market for either.  It's in my 'Wish List' and it was included there after I did my OWN research.  THE ONLY aspect I prefer from the 1.4, is the bokeh.  Nothing else.  And when you consider that, at least here in Australia, the 1.4 costs 3 times what the 1.8 costs, I cannot see the justification of paying US$1,400 more for creamy bokeh.  Just accept the fact that I do not agree with you.  Period!

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow