I would like to discuss the aesthetics of photography...

Started May 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
panos_m
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213
Like?
Re: I would like to discuss the aesthetics of photography...
In reply to Great Bustard, May 24, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

panos_m wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

panos_m wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

...based on this post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51516317

Particularly, this paragraph, and particularly the portion I highlighted in bold:

I had a recent (very successful!) gallery show of prints up to 20"x30" from the E-3. Got many comments about how "natural" the prints looked. Several people said they didn't realize at first they were photographs. They used terms such as "relaxed, smooth and inviting" to describe them. Several, including other photographers, thought they were from film, though the photographers said they were puzzled by the lack of film grain. They were surprised to hear they were digital. Several, including buyers, said they generally don't like prints from digital cameras because they are too "self-conscious" in that they have too much unnecessary detail, too obviously photographic, and too unpleasant to live with on the wall, even if initially striking.

What do people think?  It's a very interesting observation, in my opinion.

Is this a question on realism?

Not really.  The question is on the relationship between the detail in a photo vs the appeal of the photo.

Yes but isn't more detail another step closer to reality?

Hmm.  Good question.  No, I don't think it necessarily is.  Photos are so far removed from reality from the get-go, being 2D and static in time, that I think of photography as primarily being artistic.  A video, even a low res video, is much closer to reality, especially if it has sound.

Yes that is the behavior of the medium. And another layer of abstraction is added when a photograph is black and white or has excessive grain for example.

When I say closer to reality I mean that the advancements in the technical level (for example the increase in resolution) give to the photographic medium the ability to describe better.

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4MPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow