Did Nikon screw up?

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,733
Like?
Buy the 5DIII because...
In reply to jacobwhite, May 24, 2013

jacobwhite wrote:

Is it worth doing the switch and spending at least 10000 on camera and glass? Nikon seemed to be getting it right with the d700/d3 duo - but now I'm not so sure...

I'm thinking long term and it seems that Canon has been more reliable for professional needs over all...

Am I the only one feeling this way?
Am I wrong?

As a D700 user requiring an update, I somehow feel screwed...

1. Switch to Canon and buy a 5DIII (too expensive to switch; what to do with all that glass)? 
2. Buy a D800 - from what I can see it seems that compared to the 5D, the D800 seems comparable on paper - but unless I'm totally wrong it seems in reality its auto-focusing is slower, file sizes annoyingly huge at lesser image quality, in particular colours and noise, and slower.
3. Buy a D600, which is a step backwards in most things except the sensor, and size. It could almost work, if it wasn't for the ridiculous AF area - all crammed in the middle, whaaaat??? And its AF speed is sloooow!
4. Buy a D4, which is heavier, bulkier, and too expensive. I'd go for this option if it wasn't so bulky, if at least I could get it without the battery grip - I never got the use of the battery grip. Changing a battery isn't that much of a problem that it would mean that the grip absolutely needs to be built-in!

...you have already made your mind up.

Somehow the D800 is a lesser camera than the D700

This is nonsense.

- as a D700 shooter I find myself stuck with unpleasing choices

Why "unpleasing"? Buy the 5DIII. I am sure you will find it more pleasing than the D700. It will be expensive to buy a new system but since you want to buy new lenses anyway it would really not matter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow