2 Sigmas (19&30), or 20mm 1.7

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
QuakeO
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 Sigmas (19&30), or 20mm 1.7
In reply to jquagga, May 24, 2013

jquagga wrote:

You're going to get half the folks voting for the 20 and half for the Sigma's.  Which camera and what are you shooting?  Are you doing video or not?

Since you haven't specified I've decided that you're shooting in lower light on an older generation body (read: anything that isn't the GH3 or current generation PEN/OM-D).  As such, the 20 is the natural choice since it's a bit over a stop faster.  Inside that makes the difference between ISO 800 (very usable on an older generation camera) and ISO 1600 grainy / a little icky on the previous gen.

Of course even if you had a current generation camera, that stop is a big difference.  Although, the $300 difference between the two options is also a big difference.  I love my 20 though.  It's hard not to vote for the "classic".  Pancakes have their own advantages too .

My setup is an e-pl5 with the kit lens plus the 40-150 (a bargain lens imo). I shoot stills mostly, family stuff with the kit,  and sports with the 40-150. Generally in decent to bright light.

I want to add a prime or two for travel, daily stuff, and to improve my limited skills. I debated the 14 vs 20mm, but this looks like a good deal on the Sigma.  I will be at the store tomorrow to see them on the camera. How would you prioritize them?

QuakeO's gear list:QuakeO's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow