Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alex Teo
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Microscope lens and DSLR connection info
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, 11 months ago

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

dwightt wrote:

I have just started macro photography and I use a Canon DSLR and a 100mm Macro lens at f/2.8. I have my DSLR attached to the Stackshot rail for stability. I have the Raynox 250 on order.

I have seen great photos using microscope lenses attached to the DSLR but cant find info on how to connect them

There are many long discussions on this subject, along with the stackshot, over on photomacrography.net

and what parts to use. I did a search on google and was overloaded with choices, some being exotic and over my head in complexity and cost. I am looking for a simple way of setting this up.

I need info on:

1. What are the common Microscope lenses used and can they be bought on Ebay?

Entry level "infinity objectives" in the 10x range. Nikons are very popular. Typically under $400 on eBay. The "infinity" part is very important.

2. What interface is used to connect the Microscope lens to the DSLR lens?

It looks a lot like a screw-in metal lens cap, with a threaded hole in the center. Also on eBay, about $25. You have to get one to match your objective, as there are six common thread sizes in use for infinity objectives.

3. What is the best DSLR lens to use in this process?

Start with your 100mm macro. I usually use an old 105mm f2.5 Ai-S Nikkor, but that's just me. I use a 200mm Nikon macro, too. It's more like what the infinity objectives are designed to work with, so you get higher magnification. But it's large, heavy, and costs a small fortune if you don't already have one.

4. What can bellows be used for?

Bellows are used with older "finite tube" objectives. Those are the ones with markings like 210mm and 160mm. 160mm is the most common, as it's the standard for "biological" microscopes. 200mm and 210mm are common for "metalurgical" or "IC inspection" scopes, like my Nikon Optiphot 88.

You use a cone shaped RMS or Nikon BD adapter, which adapts the objective to M42, then an adapter from m42 to your camera's mount.

The two best things about bellows are

• you can vary magnification. I can use a 10x over a range from about 5x to 15x.

• you can focus with either rail movement or bellows draw. With an infinity objective in front of a 100mm or 200mm lens, your only choice is rail movement. Then again, you've got a stackshot.

5. What to avoid and not waste time and money on.

Objectives from before about 1970.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Hi! Joseph
    Im going to buy infinity 10x microscope lenses soon, but im not so sure which adapter suitable for my Bellows. can have a name of the adapter or some link please? TQ very much
This the microscope lenses i going to buy
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10X-INFINITY-PLAN-ACHROMATIC-MICROSCOPE-OBJECTIVE-INFINITE-LENS-BRAND-NEW-/221184815038?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item337fa46fbe
 Alex Teo 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alextkt/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow