Firmware upgrade causes AF slow down on 18-55!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Carlos C
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji's instructions really byte.
In reply to photoreddi, May 24, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

Carlos C wrote:

I have tried downloading the firmware update several times, but the file size ends up being 38.3MB instead of the 36.5MB told to be the size that must be used. I am using a Macbook Pro to download it. Have anyone have the same issues?

Instructions say the file must match the 36.5MB size or try down loading it again. No matter how many time I try, i get 38.3MB

Will appreciate any guidance that will assist with this issue.

The odds are pretty good that your download is ok. There's a difference between measuring in bytes, kilobytes and megabytes. 1kb is 1,024 bytes, not 1,000 bytes, and 1mb is 1024 kb, not 1,000 kb. If you divide 38,300,000 bytes by 1,024 you get 37,402.3434...kb. Divide this again by 1,024 and you get 36.52mb. It's not exactly 36.5, but that's probably due to imprecision of the stated sizes not just by you but by Fuji as well. It's extremely unlikely that 38.3 or 36.5 are the precise sizes of the actual file in bytes and megabytes and too much of a coincidence that 38.3 / 1.024 / 1.024 is so close to 36.5, which is why I think that your downloaded file is ok.

Fuji should provide the precise sizes of their firmware files so that it would be possible to tell if the downloads are off by even a single byte, but not all Fuji owners are going to be familiar enough with geek talk to know how to compare sizes accurately, and this is made more difficult because different users will use different apps to check the sizes, and not all apps report sizes using the same units.

Photoreddi,

Thanks so much for the explanation; it makes sense to me. Appreciate the tike you took to share it.

Carlos C

Carlos C's gear list:Carlos C's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow