GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,989Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I buy a NEX?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, May 24, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

cwtbone wrote:

I have been shooting DSLRs for many years and I have been strongly considering getting a NEX for portability and casual family outings. I normally shoot wildlife, macros and landscapes. I have questions though about how easy it is to get good focus using just the LCD.

You can zoom in, if you're using manual focus or DMF mode, and that really helps.  That in combination with peaking makes it possible to manually focus reasonably well.  I still get fewer keepers than AF most of the time, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

As far as the image, I think the Nex-6 and some other models might have a better LCD, but it's going to be hard to know for sure that something is in sharp focus by looking at the LCD or even EVF (without zoom-assist).

The deal on the F3 at B&H right now is very tempting but I wonder if I would regret not moving up to the NEX 6 with the viewfinder. I shoot most of the time with a Sony A65 and though I can use the LCD to shoot I almost always use the EVF. What are do some of you experienced NEX shooters think?

I've used the LCD for nearly 3 years with the Nex-5, so I didn't miss the EVF too much.  Occasionally I realize I could really use an EVF, usually when it's bright outside and washes out the LCD.

In most cases, I've had little trouble with focus in outdoor photography. If there is glare on the screen and I can't see what I'm getting, switching to AF usually solves the problem. There's a reason and a use for all the controls.

There was one time where I had to use DMF mode to manually focus through a fence, but the sun was so bright, it was hard to tell what I was doing.  Of course, one photo out of thousands isn't much of a compelling reason to spend $250 for an EVF.    There are some other times where I really could have used an EVF.  There's one that I recall where I really missed part of my subject (chopped in half) because I couldn't see the screen well enough; I was in the bright sun that day.  Sometimes the LCD was fine (it compensates to a large extent), but sometimes it just wasn't enough.

While flimsy, an occasional use of an lcd hood helps reduce or eliminate glare issue.

It can help, and it is flimsy.  (I have one of these too.)  The hardest thing is remembering to take it.

I also got one of the "V4" hood magnifiers, and that is not bad; kind of a poor-man's EVF.  Too bulky for most use, but if you know you're going to be in the sun and bulk isn't a concern, consider this....

So, most of the time I don't need an EVF and the LCD is fine (even preferred), but sometimes an EVF would be better, and there are ways to mitigate problems if you just can't get the EVF on your Nex.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow