about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
PeterPrism
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
In reply to PeterPrism, May 24, 2013

I share with you what MikeS wrote in response to me in another forum (fuji x forum):

"1) honest - to save weight and expense (as you have added just now, mass is an enemy of speed and acceleration)
2) If made of metal it might have had unacceptable thermal expansion characteristics that would not permit critical alignment for focusing or have created other alignment problems with the particular mechanical/optic design they selected.
3) If made thin enough not to add 200g of weight, it might be prone to impact damage, whereas a good industrial polymer material is stronger for this application.
Implied in the large extension of this lens would have been the need for a really long lens barrel if the extension type design had not been chosen. I do not think we would have wanted to store or carry such a monster. I suppose if I pondered some more another point would come to mind, but as a general principle I will rely on Fujifilm engineers to do design a stable and long lived product.
One thing I know is plastics have come a long way in the past twenty years, but in poplar culture we tend to have experiences with plastics that are miss-applied, of outright poor quality or even designed without consideration to longevity. So we tend to feel anything made of plastic is cheap and short lived. In their place, plastics are a very desirable choice. In fact one can over do it, witness this example: Nylon rollers, simple old fashioned nylon, will wear out stainless steel guide track, not the other way around."

It seems interesting.

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow