Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,887
Like?
Re: Pushed jpg PP
In reply to brianj, May 23, 2013

brianj wrote:

kelpdiver wrote:

I still have a small percentage of jpg only shots (nature of camera, or changed modes, or most common: got from someone else) and it's a bit aggravating how many LR/CS functions get greyed out because there's no data to work with.  It's as bad as getting a second generation copy of a print.

By the way, nothing is grayed out when adjusting a jpg in PSP9, I am beginning to understand why some people think you cannot adequately adjust a jpg, I didn't know that some software prevents you from doing so by graying things out.

Brian -

some data here.

WhiteBalance - in LR, a jpeg can still be adjusted, but now it's +/- 100 from the starting point.  You can't set multiple photos to the same setting unless you fixed it when taking the shots.  With Raw, it's an absolute scale for both temperature and tint, so you can normalize all shots nearly instantly.  In CS6 PS, WB is only in camera raw, no nothing at all for jpegs.

Now it's interesting - checking the rest, I do see functions like NR, clarity, lens corrections are all still present.  However the latitude to use these functions are substantially reduced as you don't have excess bits over 8 to give up, so any change lowers the DR.  Changing color profiles becomes a lossy event - in RAW it's another freebie.  And as others noted, once NR is applied to a jpeg, any detail tossed there cannot be retrieved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow