Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Photozone disagrees...
In reply to MisterHairy, May 23, 2013

Nikon 85 1.4G

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/606-nikkorafs8514ff?start=1

Nikon 85 1.8G

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/717-nikkorafs8518ff?start=1

I have the 85 1.8G and I think it's great.  That said, I'd trade it for the 85 1.4G is a heartbeat, even if the two lenses were priced the same.  The extra lens speed, metal barrel, 9-blade aperture, etc  are all huge benefits of the more expensive lens.  So, even though I love my 85 1.8G, I'm not so naive to think that it's a better lens than the 85 1.4G, one of the finest portrait lenses ever made.

As far as your assertions, the Photozone resolution test pretty clearly shows the f/1.4 with better performance in the center.  By f/4.0 it reaches an extremely high 4000 lw/ph a level not achieved by the f/1.8G lens.

Anyway, the above two links if you look at the data in the two tests, do not at all support the premise of your post.

This topic has been beaten to death but if the 85 1.8G works for you, enjoy it. Why you need to prove that the less expensive lens is superior to the Nikon top-of-the-line, totally ignoring the larger the max aperture, the far better build quality, AF speed, bokeh, etc and all without posting a single image to at least try to support your assertions is beyond me.  But perhaps you will upload some of your side-by-side tests in the future.

Anybody can make any claim they want on the internet.  Without images, crops, something, it's all just talk, IMHO.  No offense.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow