What might go wrong with GX2

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,518Gear list
Like?
Re: What might go wrong with GX2
In reply to peevee1, May 23, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

First things first. What MIGHT go wrong? Isn't a little premature at this point? Yes, it is. Just like the rumors which, I suspect, were released deliberately to save some market from going to E-M5 and E-P5, also very prematurely, 3 months before RUMORED ANNOUNCEMENT, not even release (compare to the rumors about GF6, for example, just days before announcement).

So let's discuss what might go wrong with GX2 as rumored, and not abstractly, but in comparison to these competitors the leak was directed against.

By decreasing probability:

1) No weather sealing (compared to E-M5) - almost certainly

2) Less effective IBIS (compared to 5-axis in E-M5 and E-P5) - almost certainly

3) No articulating screen - almost certainly

4) Old inferior 18-mpix sensor from GH2 - high probability (they promise a "new sensor" in every camera, in most cases it is a lie)

5) Low readout speed from the old sensor=lower AF speed - high probability (see above)

6) Low quality EVF, maybe 200kpix unit from LF1, or sequential junk from G-series - high probability (have to fit it over screen somehow).

7) Too high a price (with 14-42PZ) compared to $900-with-PZ-lens NEX-6 (direct competitor with 2.4Mpix EVF and articulating screen) - medium probability.

As I am happy as a clam to hear that my favorite electronics company developed IBIS - which would allow it to compete better in m43 market, truly merge the lens system (non OIS lenses would become so much more useful for us handheld shooters) and maybe prevent Pana's exit from the market, I am afraid to get too excited just yet. Any 2, maximum 3 of the potential problems from the list above will make it not very competitive with already existing offers in $800+ range, and I'll doubt they will make much profit at lower prices served by $500 (with kit lenses) E-PL5 and NEX-5r.

What do you think?

After all your pros and cons which I personally discard as a garbage, it is up to what camera to buy.

Vote for your brand by money!

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow