A few observations.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,682Gear list
Like?
Re: A few observations.
In reply to Richard the picture man, 11 months ago

Richard the picture man wrote:

I also get the impression that many newcomers (not all ) have a marked disinclination to actually start their hobby at the beginning. Very few of them want to truly learn about things like  depth of field, perspective compression, Hyperfocal distance, panning, pre focusing etc. It seems as if they want to buy a camera, set it to scene mode and fire away. No wonder they get bored after just a few months.

This has a lot to do with marketing cameras at people who, without this encouragement, would never touch one. But this also happened in the 35mm days. It was commented in the 1960s that professionals could buy affordable gear because the mass market made it affordable.

To be fair, the firmware writers do try to give you a usable picture when your knowledge is non-existent. Still, I have retained my interest in photography for at least fifty years because I tend to make the best of whatever gear is available that I can afford.

I don't have a cell phone for taking pictures, but I do have a take-anywhere 24x zoom pocket P&S. Admittedly, a little knowledge about it does make it more useful, thereby averting the discard-it-after-two-months syndrome.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SZ-30MR Olympus SH-50
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow