Best legacy 35 mm

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
sebboh
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?
Re: Best legacy 35 mm
In reply to blue_skies, May 23, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Did you use the Fotodiox adapter? It has known issues: http://photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00bVSb

the g35 actually has much less corner smearing and color shift than the g28, but the g28 is sharper in the center on all cameras and better in the corners on the 5N/6 (and obviously poorer in the corners on the NEX-3/5/7).

You would expect that for a f/2.8 lens. I briefly had the much larger Elmarit pre-ASPH, which should perform even better, but I could not tell the CG28 and LM28 apart in pixel peeping.

Same for the Sigma lenses - they are impressive, but at f/2.8, most of the faster lenses catch up quickly by then too.

i was actually never really happy with the central sharpness of the g35 till f/4 and i tried out 2 other copies of the lens to see if i just had a bad sample (i didn't).

i'm not saying the g35 is a bad lens, just that i think calling it sharp corner to corner wide open or even sharp centrally wide open is definitely misleading. here's a few old pics from mine:

Probably correct. Still, at f/2 most lenses do lose their sharpness, and micro-contrast. Both the E24Z and E35 are almost soft at f/2, but already clean up at f/2.2 or so.

Also, DOF limitations and field curvature play a role, depending on lens (design) and FL.

I was using the CG35 as one of my first 'fast wider compact' primes, and found it 'ok' on a Nex-5, but better performing on a Nex-5N.

But then after, I took more images with the E24Z and ZM35 combo, on the 5N and later. Maybe it is time for a comparison again.

Cheers,
Henry

kipon adapter not a fotodiox adapter, though now i have the optics of my contax g lenses transfered into rokkor helicoids for better manual focus:

contax g 45/2 in m-mount with rokkor helicoid

contax g 28/2.8 in m-mount with rokkor helicoid

it's not the speed difference that accounts for the weakness of the g35, most of my f/2 or faster lenses outperform it and the g28 outperforms it at all shared apertures.

the zm 35/2 destroys the g35 when it comes to sharpness anywhere in the frame. it's a much bigger lens though with terrible bokeh (my personal opinion on the bokeh of course).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow