Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?
Re: What might go wrong with GX2
In reply to jalywol, May 23, 2013

jalywol wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

4) Old inferior 18-mpix sensor from GH2 - high probability (they promise a "new sensor" in every camera, in most cases it is a lie)

I really disagree on this one

Why? They have done it before. And 18 mpix sounds suspiciously like GH2. Why not at least 20 (for marketing reasons and at least it would make SMALL difference, vs practically NO difference between 16 and 18)? With 18 mpix Canons, 20 mpix Samsungs, RX100 and A58 (and I am sure many future cams), 24 mpix NEX-7 and Nikons they have to go higher with a new gen sensor - a lot of people still buy megapixels.

5) Low readout speed from the old sensor=lower AF speed - high probability (see above)

Disagree

6) Low quality EVF, maybe 200kpix unit from LF1, or sequential junk from G-series - high probability (have to fit it over screen somehow).

Panasonic has usually made pretty good EVFs actually (with a few notable misses). My suspicion is that they might be using the Epson really tiny and very good chip in this one (like the VF-4)...not sure they could fit the thing in body otherwise.

Good? Remember, we compare to E-M5 and VF-4 and NEX-6. Only GH3 comes close (let's forget about corner softness for a moment) - but it is huge and would not fit into the rangefinder form factor.

7) Too high a price (with 14-42PZ) compared to $900-with-PZ-lens NEX-6 (direct competitor with 2.4Mpix EVF and articulating screen) - medium probability.

Always too high a price at initial release, but that's true of ALL M43s so far, perhaps with the exception of the EM5, which was high but not stratospheric for the technology it contained.

Not all, Pana G3/G5/G6 and Oly E-PM2 were more or less reasonably priced for what they are.

My guess is that it will have a new sensor....Don't know if it will be in house or Sony, but am thinking it might be the one that Oly/Sony had that patent for with the PDAF sections embedded in the sensor...that would keep output at about 16MP but have the extra info for PDAF on the other 2MB of sites.

That would mean death of Pana sensor division, and/or price of the camera closer to GH3 than at/below G6 where it belongs. Don't think so.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow